About Me

My photo
Yuba City, CA, United States
For over 24 years Edward C. Han Sr., MBS, DD has been a Bible teacher to youth and adults at his local church, Lakeview Assembly, Stockton, CA. He studied with Golden State School of Theology. Ed is a Personal Financial Representative in his community, where he has raised his family with his wife Lorri. He is passionate about discipleship training for new believers as he heads up Lakeview Bible Institute; and market place ministry as President of the Stockton Chapter of Business Men's Fellowship. For information on seminars, workshops and speaking engagements, please contact Ed Han at edhan362@yahoo.com

Friday, April 17, 2009

School of Life Long Learning

I’m passionate about Christian education. Call me “Christian Ed” if you like. I remember summer camp when I was a teen. We were visited by the president of a Bible college. His approach to the young people was very interesting. He asked the students, “What career choice have you made for your future?” Many kids weren’t sure. Others were confident they would pursue fields in engineering, medicine, law enforcement and business. His next question was simple. “After completing your education,” he asked, “how many years of your life will you spend in that profession?” Most of the young people assumed 30, 40, maybe even 50 years in their chosen occupation. He then asked, “How many years do you expect to be a Christian?” The obvious answer is the rest of your life. The last question was, “Then should you consider starting your adult life in Christian education?”
The Bible college president posed a convincing argument. Too bad I didn’t follow his counsel in my youth. It took me many more years to come to the reality of his sage advice. A career may last a few decades, but serving the Lord is forever. Yet, how seriously do we take the issue of adult Christian education? I believe as believers, when entering into relationship with Christ, we enroll in a “School of Life Long Learning.” One human lifetime is not enough to learn all there is to know about God. But isn’t that one of the primary reasons God has given this one life to you?
“Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the priceless gain of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I may have Christ.” (Philippians 3:8 NLT)
However, I have witnessed well meaning Christians dismiss the value of faithful commitment to Bible study. “Sunday School is what I did as a kid,” seems to be their attitude. It really demonstrates an attitude of, “I did my time as a kid, so I don’t need Bible classes anymore.” With or without a degree, we don’t graduate from Bible school until resurrection. I am confident that I will take and teach Bible courses for the rest of my life. It is a matter of spiritual discipline in my mind.
Another deficiency to note is the “dummy down” approach being taken with adults. We need to teach to stretch and grow our faith by the Word of God (Rom. 10:17). If I had my druthers, I would teach all adult classes at least to a junior college level. We tend to live with such low expectations of students that we seldom give homework or expect that students will memorize Scripture verses. You might be surprised at what level students will rise to when challenged and lead.
I’ve been so pleased with the resent response we had at our church in launching a school of ministry. I told the pastor if we could get six commitments we should start the two year diploma program. Wonder of wonders! We finished our first session with 24 disciples. Four times more than the fleece I had laid out. But people are hungry for discipleship, thirsty for the knowledge of God and longing for leadership.
In this day and age we desperately need believers to give God their best effort toward self-discipline to study, learn and grow. If you are gifted and capable, we need you to step up and teach the Word. If you are a true follower, seek out and find Bible based, Spirit filled courses to study. Join the “School of Life Long Learning” today!
If you live near Stockton, CA, take classes with us at Lakeview bible Institute (http://www.lakeviewassembly.com/). If you can study online, try Golden State School of Theology (http://www.goldenstate.edu/).